2011/2012 Legion Executive
Margaret Cameron – President
Linda Battams – 1st Vice
Victor Festing – Treasurer
Dave Boak – Chaplain
Barry Carson – Executive Member – Maintenance
Sam Mawhinney – Executive Member – Sports
Marg McLean – Executive Member – Youth Education & Bursary
Rose Wager – Executive Member – Membership, Honors & Awards
John Stegenga – Executive Member
(photo not available)
Gerry Brown – Executive Member – Seniors & Ways & Means
Ruth Mooney – Sergeant-at-Arms
(photo not avalable)
Doreen Forchon – Past President
Royal Canadian Legion Bobcaygeon Branch 239 History
One lovely afternoon in 1932 Andrew Anderson, Alfred Nichols and Dr. Scott met by chance at the water fountain in the Village of Bobcaygeon. The three World War 1 Veterans had all been members of the Great War Veterans Association. Until disbanding in 1927 the organization had met regularly; sometimes in Cecil Pogue’s garage on Bolton Street, sometimes at the old Town Hall on Main Street.
By 1932 a small group of Veterans had organized, applied for and received a Canadian Legion Charter of the British Empire Service League. Thanks to the efforts of these men, Branch 239 was born:
Major H.O Boyd
Lieut. R.G. Scott
Major B.E. Kelly
Land was secured from the Boyd empire and an old church was purchased. The church was torn down and moved, piece by piece, to the new location at 96 King Street East, where it still stands today.
Master carpenter and World War 1 Veteran, John Grant and a crew of fifteen men made the design plans of Len Mills a reality. By the end of the summer of 1949 the structure was closed in and an open box stove had been installed. Construction continued throughout the winter months with meetings being conducted around the old stove.
The first President of the Bobcaygeon Legion, Branch 239 was Nigel Pilcher. The Secretary was Air Force Veteran Lloyd Beatty and the treasurer was Army Veteran, Jack Kennedy.
After years of hard work and dedication one hundred people; veterans, family and friends, gathered in 1952 to celebrate the official opening of Branch 239 with Premier Leslie Frost.
Branch 239 members work tirelessly to raise funds; they ran raffles and held 50/50 draws. When new hardwood flooring was required, members paid their dues years in advance to fund the improvements.
In 1965 when the need for expansion became evident, Legion member Lloyd Beatty approached Sheila Boyd and secured an additional 63 ½ feet of land. With a bank loan of $12,500 a small addition was erected, adding much needed space for activities and events.
Social members were accepted until 1973 when Dominion Command established Associate Memberships for sons and daughters, husbands and wives of Veterans.
In 1985 President Olive Boyd and her Executive decided that it was time for further expansion. The Boyd Estate once again donated land, this time to be used for parking. Construction began October 19, 1985 and was completed in 1986 in time for a grand opening on Canada Day. The addition formed the building as it is today.
The Bobcaygeon Legion is an integral part of the community. Membership today is in excess of seven hundred and most of the work is still done on a volunteer basis.
By Lisa Dever with Files from Ruth Ewell